Thursday, January 27, 2011

Boo-Hoo to the FLU!

So... not until ages 3 & 4 did we experience a bout of the stomach flu 'round here.... AND, not until the week before my only winter-wedding this season did it emerge. Of course! So needless to say, it was a stressful week. I mean, I've been good - I mean really good - at avoiding that bug in past years - even living at home back when it circulated through 4 out of 5 of us - me being the 5th - and the non-sickie. But - I would wash my hands more often, leave the house more often, maintained my own toothpaste and separate toothbrush-storage... and I certainly wasn't holding the buckets and hands of the ill during their grocery-regurgitation. Neither was I laundering the the soiled clothing and bedding multiple times a day... Oh - the joys. 
Surprisingly, I handled it exceptionally well. Even Joel made a point of complimenting me numerous times - (and still does weeks later!) regarding my handling of the situation. [He pretty much fears puke or anything associated with it like many people fear death itself.] Ironically - I'd always maintained a strong stomach, and during and following pregnancy - my body said bye-bye to my inner abs-of-steel. So at first,  I feared that I too may unwittingly join in with the chunk-laden chorus. Low and behold, mommy-mode kicked in, and I mustered up the necessary composure to deal. I figured if it weren't for the timing - just days before a wedding shoot - I'd have handled it with even more grace. Oh well - my prayers were answered, and I made it to that wedding, and beyond. YAY! Thank you Big Guy. I've always been diligent about hand-washing and general germ aversion... Now? Now I'm a new-found, bonafide germaphobe! Those holiday pocket-pack size hand sanitizers at Bath & Body Works went on major clearance (try 37 cents per) - I have approximately 6 of those finding their way around with me. Don't leave home without it. It's everywhere you want to be.

TIP: Hand-washing is good. VERY very very very very very good.
A QUOTE: "The trouble with always trying to preserve the health of the body is that it is so difficult to do without destroying the health of the mind."  ~G.K. Chesterton
WHIDFML: After doing laundry every day for the week of the Flu, I took a lovely sabbatical from it for nearly 2 weeks. No worries -- It was still there when I returned. (dang!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment