Saturday, September 24, 2011

Some Day...


So, we found ourselves in a really coolio situation - and we FINALLY (oh so finally) got some comfortable furniture, that is plenty enough for hosting guests, and no longer embarrassing to offer to said guests, in our beloved basement. We even made the leap to the flat-screen TV! And, we can link it to the web so we can watch our weekly winter shows (Grey's Anatomy, Raising Hope, and The Office) - on the comfy new digs! Thank you HOM clearance center! You see, we wait 'til the weekend when the kiddos are sleeping, and sip wine and indulge in things like chocolate and frosting-covered cookies, to unwind on the weekends (after the shows have already aired on regular television.) Yay! 
We've begun a new overall trend of enjoying life more, and making the most of each day (not just those weekends or 'special' occasions.) We're doing more of the things we've been dreaming of - because we don't know what tomorrow holds, and why chance it? Time to enjoy more and stress less! This has been a very healthy trend. Mind you, there is a line between enjoying life, and being frivolous. We are well-attuned to the enjoying part.I have to say I'm darn proud of us! ;)
I kind of liken it to being in school, versus getting out there and gaining experience in the field. I've always been a hands-on learner, and while I have had some informal training, an elective course in high-school, and on-the-job learning experiences in my line of work (as a wedding photographer), I have primarily just fine-tuned my abilities as I've made my way through life - and I've been enjoying it immensely. People place so much emphasis on school - but I've learned so much that can't be learned that way... I've even been 'mentoring' some colleagues and new assistants in this regard, because most of their questions have no applicable 'course' to enroll in for answers. I've been experiencing it first-hand for over 8 years now. It was reaffirming to have a wedding guest recently respond with, "...good for you - you learn so much doing it that way - on the job. That's wonderful!" He had asked whether or not I'd attended 'school' for this line of work... I explained that I had my very basic training, and learned the rest hands-on in the field - fine tuning as I go. Often people have the expectation that all fields should require formal schooling. But one thing that is justifiable in this line of work, is the fact that you can't exactly teach someone how to see the world around them. They either have that, or they don't. You can teach technique, and the technical skills, but the rest is either there or it isn't. More power to those who benefit from additional schooling. But I like to break the rules anyway. If I go to learn the rules of this field, it's so that I can avoid following them! I want to live this - right now - so that's my approach - but it is doable because my genuine passion for it propels me in the right direction. In as much, my passion for life continues to propel me in the necessary directions for fulfillment. I just have to trust the Big Guy - and His plan. So be it!


TIP: Though it may not provide you with a document of some kind, the classroom of Life offers quite a bit of knowledge that cannot be otherwise adequately obtained or put to proper use.
A QUOTE: "Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught." ~Oscar Wilde 
WHIDFML: Officially stopped (well, quite a long while ago) waiting for 'some day'! That day is TODAY, people! Live it up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment