Friday, December 10, 2010

Tidings of Comfort & Joy


Kay - (slightly) less mind-rambling (as in the last 2 posts!) and more of the short but sweet!
I don't think I've ever been this excited about the season! I've always enjoyed the seasonal changes, including the transition into winter. Hey - fires in the fireplace, sledding, (possible snow-boarding this year!), ice-fishing, gorgeous views out our window - those are annual joys. We've even experienced a horse-drawn sleigh ride through the northern wilderness, a dog-sled ride through similar terrain in that area, and snowmobiling around the trails intertwining the GFTrail! Winter has many fun elements to enjoy. (Just wish it didn't last until the end of March, is all!) We had an amazing, long, hot summer - that started early and lasted into fall - so I don't feel like I was missing out on that this year. I soaked that in completely! Now, I'm reveling in the benefits that the winter months have to offer. (I'm a 'glass-half-full' type.) 
And Christmas is always fun - though in past years it has felt more like a bunch of unnecessary craziness. I like a little bit of crazy in my life... just a little... the right kind of crazy. But not the unnecessary kind. SO! This year both girls are into Christmas, and it's meaning, and being involved in the many traditions that surround the holidays. I think Christmas is more fun when you HAVE kids, even compared to BEING a kid!
I've been reveling in my self-awareness as well - which has brought me to a place of even greater happiness. I recognize that as much as I enjoy having people in my life, I don't depend on them for my happiness. That means, I can get through anything. It may not always be easy - but I'm strong and know what's important to me, and I'll continue to strive to achieve the goals that fall in line with that. Having people to share it all with is very meaningful, and contributes to happiness, increasing it. But, very different from expecting your happiness to come from another. There's a difference between want and need. Of course I want to share my life - but I'm particular about just who I involve in it, and on what levels. And that's okay!
This year's goal: a renewed sense of adventure. It doesn't have to be 'big' or 'fancy' to be adventurous. It'd be great if it could encompass a touch of romance (which also need not be large or shmancy - I'm not the 'sweep-me-off-my-feet' type!) Now that Joel has been more comfortable in his skin again - I've been already noticing little things that mean I do get to enjoy a little bit of that passion. ;) [Hahaha! My desire for a little spark actually does require another person's mutual desire for sharing in that. But my patience seems to be paying off!]
As a population in general - we're all just seeking happiness and pleasure. I believe that we should be. As long as we aren't intentionally hurting others in that process, and trying to 'get ahead'/ step on other people in order to be happy, I think we're meant to move toward what moves us. I'm sure we're here to learn something - which is why life isn't always peachy - but your attitude toward it and your ability to seek solutions can make or break your experience while here. So - why not look for the positive?

TIP: Never stop dreaming! Every so often, take time to explore what you would be doing with your life if you had complete freedom (from responsibilities, from expectations, from financial set-back, from any of life's obstacles.) Chances are - if you really think about it - you can move toward many of those goals and attain them. They aren't so far-fetched, most likely. Figure out little ways to incorporate the things that mean something to you into your life. Even if your big dream is to own a yacht - and you can't afford one - you can probably save up for a cruise ship vacation, or a small boat of your own. And that doesn't mean that you can't still move toward yacht ownership in baby steps, if that really means something to you. 
A QUOTE (or 3!): "The world needs dreamers and the world needs doers.  But above all, the world needs dreamers who do."  ~Sarah Ban Breathnach, Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy, 1996
"Part of the issue of achievement is to be able to set realistic goals, but that's one of the hardest things to do because you don't always know exactly where you're going, and you shouldn't."  ~George Lucas
"Establishing goals is all right if you don't let them deprive you of interesting detours." ~Doug Larson 
WHIDFML: Just been my self - with zero apologies!! :) That's the norm, but I realize it's really fun, even when people judge you for it... I figure, it's sad that they feel they have to live a life that was basically contrived for them... a life per others' expectations. I'm free. That's the way I want to be!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment