Thursday, June 24, 2010

Interesting Insight

Today I read this article about Happy, Successful women, as chronicled on Oprah.com. See link below to check it out:
Oprah.com Article 

I realized something as I read about the piece describing how successful women actually LACK balance. Instead, they consistently strive for tilting the scales in their preferred direction, and moving toward what makes them happy. It was interesting, although I feel they took a kind of dramatic/ extreme perspective on what "balance" means (ie:..."For every school play I should attend, cut out a presentation on the road?"...) Their examples are a bit drastic, but do touch on what balance typically refers to. That's never been what I've intended in seeking a sense of "balance". For me it has meant being able to fully embrace & enjoy all of the many varied aspects of life that mean something to me (ie: kids, husband, friends, family, creativity/ art, and many many activities that interest me.) While I'm not about giving each of those aspects "equal" time, I am about making sure that I'm putting more time into those things, without shorting myself of any one of them, particularly not due to directing my time to needless 'shoulds' by the standards of others. But it got me thinking - that perhaps balance isn't really quite what I'm going for. And then it hit me... I think it's more about PRIORITIES. Saying yes more to the things that are meaningful to us, and no to the things that aren't fulfilling or necessary. Thought it was a poignant insight!! And the article is worth sharing :)


Kudos to Oprah.com for opening my eyes to the difference! 


TIP: You can start to re-direct your life... one step at a time! It took me a few years to get to where I am now with that trend... and obviously I still can apply some fine-tuning. Let's LIVE as we learn :)
A QUOTE:  “Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find ''tomorrow'' on the calendars of fools. Forget yesterday's defeats and ignore the problems of tomorrow. This is it. Doomsday. All you have. Make it the best day of your year. The saddest words you can ever utter are, ''If I had my life to live over again. ''Take the baton, now. Run with it! This is your day! Beginning today, treat everyone you meet, friend or foe, loved one or stranger, as if they were going to be dead at midnight. Extend to each person, no matter how trivial the contact, all the care and kindness and understanding and love that you can muster, and do it with no thought of any reward. Your life will never be the same again.” ~Og Mandino
WHIDFML: Took a cat-nap while the girls played nicely near my side! 

No comments:

Post a Comment