Friday, June 11, 2010

It's a Weekend-Thaaang -


So! Been trying to figure out some ways around my stress levels increasing unexpectedly when things become - well - busy... 

I've made great strides to beat the tides and avoid all that hustle-&-bustle that our money-prioritizing culture has generated over the decades. We work to live, not the other way around, ya know?? I do things according to priority for the most-part, and have come up with a pretty novel way of determining how to better make those kinds of decisions. I give it the "rocking-chair-test"... If I'm not sure how I'd feel/ what's more important/ have trouble deciding something - I think ahead to reminiscing one day... at the ripe age of _?_ - on my back porch rocking chair. What will I think about it then as I look back? That is the key! Not always easy - as it's hard to fight the crowds who tend to go with the flow. So few rebel quite like me! ;) But I make a point to put my priorities first... And avoid doing things that aren't necessary out of a sense of obligation or the like......

Now, I think I may have just uncovered a new way to give some of the more minor, day-to-day-to-do's, a much needed occasional over-looking! Give it the "What-if-it-were-the-weekend?" test!! 

Joel's schedule is all a-flop lately - causing my brain to feel a little bit damaged when in conjunction with the tendency for all things to coincide and, culminate at one time. *"This is your brain. This is your brain on stress....[insert frying eggs in pan here!] Any questions?"* Luckily, as described in some previous posts - I'm doing well to out-do the constant doing. 

Today - a Friday afternoon when Joel would normally be home already - Joel is at work for the late shift. No big deal, except that I can't figure out what day it is anymore ;) I was wandering around the basement - doing a little of this and that - and thought about completing some laundry. I couldn't recall if had had remembered to put the wet stuff into the dryer last night... I thought - "Oh well - it's the weekend anyway. I'm 'off'on the weekends!" HA! Funny thing is - it technically is considered the weekend... but not how I was originally formulating it as such in my own mind. But it occurred to me... I should treat more days of the week like a "weekend" - and remind myself that it isn't always necessary! 

I do like to stay caught-up in a general way. Keeps things from becoming overwhelming. A friend who visited the house recently kept commenting on how clean my house is! It didn't really occur to me until later - but one reason why it tends to stay that way overall - is because I just do little bits here and little bits there. I don't want to have to devote any extensive amounts of valuable time cleaning. Things have a place... when I'm done with something - I give it back to its home! If I make a mess on the counter-top, I clean the mess... 

I realized after having this 'weekend fog, wait-til-later laundry moment', however, that I can probably let things like that go just a bit more often than I have had a tendency to do previously. Of course, letting go of some stressors - reducing and eliminating all of those unnecessary ones in particular, only aids in seeing things like this with greater clarity. 

Life is short. So is summer. Life gets messy - but I have to also remind myself to FROG it! (Fully Rely On God) and it'll work out the way its supposed to. My affinity for frogs was only heightened when I learned about the above mentioned acronym. Plus, it can be a great replacement for a 4-letter-word. What the FROG? Ah - FROG it! FROG you! ;) 

TIP: Also recognized my need for regular creative self-expression... It's such a happy place! Writing, photography, painting, even coloring with the girls in their coloring books~ It's all good froggin' & forgettin' it! Feed your creative energy into something meaningful to you - and soothe the soul.
A QUOTE: “Always reward your long hours of labor and toil in the very best way, surrounded by your family. Nurture their love carefully, remembering that your children need models, not critics, and your own progress will hasten when you constantly strive to present your best side to your children. And even if you have failed at all else in the eyes of the world, if you have a loving family, you are a success.” ~Og Mandino
WHIDFML: Deposited some $ into an account for a couple of upcoming camping getaways this summer! Wallah - PAID FOR! The fun will be that much more enjoyable when remembering it's pre-paid~

No comments:

Post a Comment