Monday, May 17, 2010

Ah - Wabi Sabi!


No - it's not something the girls made up...  nor is it something that I made up! I have, however, found that I fall into the beliefs behind this concept about life - and have for many many moons. But reading about it recently in an article made me realize some things: A) There are others out there who embrace this approach to life as well! B) There is an actual name for it, and C) The article brought me to a newer, heightened sense of enlightenment about the whole concept. 

Wabi Sabi, per Diane Durston (Auther of Wabi Sabi: The Art of Everyday Life) as found in Woman's Day, Ap 2010: 
"The concept originated in 16th-century Japan with the tea ceremony, a ritual that provided a way to step out of the chaos of daily life and reconnect with that which was simple and tranquil. Through the centuries, wabi sabi came to mean an approach to life and art that is in harmony with nature, one that values the handmade and rustic, and recognizes the impermanence of life. It encourages us to be respectful of age, both in things and in ourselves, and it counsels us to be content with what we have rather than always striving for more. Wabi sabi has a hint of wistfulness about it."  


The article later details that it isn't about settling for less than we deserve, or avoiding working to improve our situation. Rather, it's about balance and contentment, acceptance of imperfection in life, and of being one with nature and it's lack of perfection. 


I could really register what the article writer (Lori Erickson) concluded in her final lines as she confided: "I know that my moments of joy will pass, but so will my pains and sorrows. I will try to live them, learn their lessons and let them go. And in the meantime, a few laugh lines are my proof that I've enjoyed the journey along the way." 


WABI SABI !!!! (My new "Cheers"!)


TIP: Perfection is impossible. It's in the eye of the beholder anyway - and there's no pleasing everyone! wabi sabi!
A QUOTE: To escape criticism - do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.  ~Elbert Hubbard
WHIDFML: Played with my sweet-peas (aka: little daughters)! We also all painted our nails :)

No comments:

Post a Comment