Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Spring Cleaning (of the Mind & Soul)...


For years now, one way in which I find myself 'dealing' with the onslaught of stress as it occurs, is by cleaning. I clean house... clean the truck, clean out the junk-drawers, organize closets... I can't seem to get enough. It's not that I enjoy cleaning. I enjoy the results of cleaning. I used to think it was my way of taking some control of my situation - by effectively altering my space and providing myself with a more soothing environment. As it turns out, I realize that it's not about control - but rather - about acquiring a clean-slate. I need a means of 'starting fresh' - and refreshing my surroundings gives me a starting-point. In cleaning out my cluttered environment, I allow my mind to become less engulfed in cluttered thought, and ta-da! Clean slate :)
Since about the age of 24 (wow, 7 years already), I've made it a priority to manage stress in my life, and not take on too much. I want to enjoy life - thrive... I don't have interest in merely surviving. We all have to do certain things to survive. We have to make various sacrifices and adjustments. That's to be expected. This is also heavily based upon our specific goals/ dreams. But there is something inherently wrong with a culture where money becomes more valuable than the time to enjoy life. Too often, we become so absorbed in the small stuff - and forget about what's truly important. I decided a long time ago that I refuse to live that way. I also chose not to sell my soul to any industry - even when it came to my dream-job. Now, I work for myself doing what I'm most passionate about, while also being there with my kids. It's not easy, it's still work, but It's meaningful and fulfilling, and I don't have to answer to anyone but myself, and those closest to and most important to me. 

I went to sleep last night with my head spinning. Joel and I had a heart-to-heart about babe #1. I had been feeling bogged down, frustrated, unsure, and exhausted. It was an opportunity to reassess some things, and determine what needed redirecting. Namely - Joel and I have to be the parents - always...  (And though we have Addie in check, it'll be hard to maintain that if she sees her older sister getting away with too much, too often.) We haven't been intentionally "letting" Myla get away with things - but we haven't been consistent enough (particularly between the two of us.) It begins now. We (both) give her one warning, and time-out takes effect immediately upon ignored warnings.  If we're in a restaurant... we leave. If we're in the grocery store... we leave. Whatever it takes to get the point across. Leaving time-out so soon? Add a minute each time she moves, and put her back silently each time. (Zero attention.) Less emphasis on protecting her feelings, and more emphasis on correcting bad behavior and setting her up for an overall better life because of it. (Um, and US too!)

So, needless to say - my house is pretty sparkly right now, and my mind is clear again. (Man, that feels good!) I woke up this morning with a whole new perspective on things, and am feeling much more like myself again. It'll take a bit of doing to get Myla to where we need her... but I feel like we have some directive now. She's always posed a greater challenge, and therefore, it's natural for us to have to take extra steps to feel our way with her upbringing. Now that Joel's on board with me, this should be much less strenuous. Thank God for Swiffer!


TIP: Watching Nanny 911 can be beneficial... sometimes. So can eating chocolate. [Maybe this will be a "famous quote" one day - with my name behind it! Ha.]
A QUOTE: "There may be dust in my house but there isn't any on me."  ~Author Unknown
WHIDFML: Awoke to rain, curled up, and went back to sleep.  :)


Click  HERE  for my song of the day today! 
AND, my horoscope! (Rather fitting)

Your Daily Horoscope: March 16, 2010

Sagittarius Nov. 22 - Dec 21
This is a good day to experience the magic of faith, Sagittarius. Expect a miracle, and you just might experience unexpected help coming from an unknown source. As long as you are not buying into defeatist thinking, today's opportunity period can bring anything from hope to a fresh start. If you do begin to believe that your forward momentum is lost, then the opportunity period will make that possibility real. Don't think in terms of limitation or lack, you will only succeed in creating a self-fulfilling prophecy of the most negative kind.

[Here's hoping there is a miracle involving less money owed for taxes, as well as the turn-around of our little (defiant) lady.]

No comments:

Post a Comment