Monday, December 19, 2011

It's Inching Near!




So, as Christmas draws near, I have rather gracefully handled a few minor impromptu set-backs... They interrupted my super-duper-uper-shmuper (Sid the Science Kid, anyone?) Holiday-Happies - but only briefly. [I swear, I blog, and it jinxes things! Hm... Gonna haveta figure that one out.] On those otherwise happy notes came some unexpected fun as well. For example, I joined my MIL on a trip downtown for a concert. We saw The Blenders - an outrageously talented acappella group - mix it up for Christmas. They are funny too :) Bonus. At one point during the show, they sang Where are You Christmas? For those who aren't familiar - here are those lyrics, as found online:

WHERE ARE YOU CHRISTMAS?
WHY CAN'T I FIND YOU?
WHY HAVE YOU GONE AWAY?
WHERE IS THE LAUGHTER YOU USED TO BRING ME?
WHY CAN'T I HEAR MUSIC PLAY?
MY WORLD IS CHANGING,
IM REARRANGING,
DOES THAT MEAN CHRISTMAS CHANGES TO.

WHERE ARE YOU CHRISTMAS
WHY CAN'T I FIND YOU
WHY HAVE YOU GONE AWAY,

IM NOT THE SAME ONE
SEE WHAT THE TIME'S DONE
IS THERE ANY PLACE TO GO OH,OH,OH,OH,OH
CHRISTMAS IS HERE,EVERY WHERE OH, OH
CHRISTMAS IS HERE,IF CARE,OH,OH,OH
IF THERE IS LOVE,IN YOUR HEART AND YOUR MIND
YOU WILL FEEL LIKE CHRISTMAS ALL THE TIME
THE JOY OF CHRISTMAS
STAYS HERE INSIDE US
FILLS EACH AND EVERY HEART
WITH LOVE
OH,OH,OH

 It was rather poignant - as it represents how I'd been feeling about this season for the past few years - as I adjusted to motherhood, and family changes, and things that just made this particular holiday feel less meaningful and less joyful. I'm so pumped to be past that now! But I do still wish - since ."...we have all changed, and that changes Christmas too..." that we could implement some new adventures and traditions into the mix as well. Some families exchange gifts, others go on vacations together. Either way - you spend bucho-bucks... So why can't we just eliminate the commercialized side of it, and make some new memories together, instead of pummeling one another with unnecessary (albeit, usually well-liked and enjoyed) THINGS? I hate to sound ungrateful for the goodies my fam has handed out to me and mine... I just wish we could turn it into more than 'gifts'. Turns out, the family isn't really so interested. Shocker! Anywho - I did succeed in talking the girls into making our regular 2-generations-of-sisters annual Christmas shopping outing a new experience - at least for this year. (Hopefully more!) Rather than going to the same place, and spending frivolously, we are making it into a little girls'-get-away! Duluth, here we come. It'll be at a time when we can enjoy seeing the place all decorated for the season, and spend a weekend just relaxing, and surely still getting in some shopping I'd wager. So that way - everyone is happy! Sadly, sis seemed to want to push it toward the cabin in the future. They just don't get it - I wanted us to do something "different". Getting drunk and crashing at the cabin isn't my idea of a good time or exciting holiday memory, but that's her issue to work out. Anyway - I've decided that no matter where the rest of the peeps in my life stand, it's most important how I create holiday memories with my immediate family - Joel and the girls - and we'll be sure to do what's meaningful for us. I want them to have memories of being with the family - -but I don't want the emphasis to be on getting presents. Fine line to walk in this culture, but I'll try my best. It's all I can do! Cheers to non-materialistic traditions!!

TIP: When your heart beckons - if others look down on you for following it - that's their prob. Do what's meaningful to you! Your heart will thank you. And, experiencing things regularly that don't cost tons of cash can teach your littles to appreciate more about this season than simply 'getting gifts'. Presents are a fun part of it all for the kids, but it shouldn't be the most important goal. Rebel against society's push to spend, spend, spend... F that!
A QUOTE: "Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship." ~Buddha
WHIDFML: Celebrating my b-day with a massage tomorrow afternoon, whilst the littles retreat at Grandma's! Ahhhh... I think if I received a gift certificate for a massage every season, I might think-twice about this non-gift-thing ;) ha!


No comments:

Post a Comment