Wednesday, September 23, 2009

It's Not Always All About You... Or is it?

Becoming a parent & constantly tending to the needs of others, doesn’t mean we cease to exist as an individual… we’ve merely been transformed. Compare it to the ever-cliché and yet ideally relevant butterfly-from-caterpillar revolution. Giving OF ourselves shouldn’t mean giving UP who we are…

I recall seeing a commercial on television (for a well-known line of inexpensive hair products - you've probably heard of it: Suave ladies - like steppin' out of salons), portraying varied examples of mothers and their young children. The voice-over dictated some statistics. “…x-percentage of new mothers ‘let themselves go’…” I had to LOL! Really? Seriously. Does a new mother have a choice in that matter??? I don’t think that it’s always so much a matter of ‘letting ourselves go’ as much as it is “can I please have a few minutes to urinate, toss my hair into something that looks somewhat intentional, and perhaps scarf down some left-overs from three days ago before you need to eat again, little darling??”

We love our babies. We all have that in common. Truthfully – many of us also share in some means of ‘letting ourselves go’. But, I’m speaking more metaphorically – in ways that far surpass how we physically present ourselves to the world. Ultimately – we need to remember that while our families/ children have now become our top priority, we can’t be any good to anyone else if we aren’t good to ourselves as well.

My blog highlights thoughts such as these, things I’ve learned so far, and will continue to learn. It will relay ideas, tips, exciting events, offering examples of how - through having children of my own - I too in many ways have been ‘re-born’…(or have taught myself how to be!) These are the Mommy Milestones that I experience through sharing my life with children (and a husband, and a dog, and family, and friends, and neighbors, owning a home, and running a business, and, and, and… you get the idea!)

A QUOTE: "Even in Literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often is has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it."

C.S. Lewis


WHIDFML: I've sipped wine to celebrate the embarking upon this new writing-blog-adventure! (While my kids are at Grandma & Grandpa's for the day!)

No comments:

Post a Comment