Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Embracing Change



My initial response to the snow in early OCTOBER?? Something like this, "Geez Louisssse (new swear-word)....REALLY? SERIOUSLY? COME ON....... Sweet sassy molassy (new swear-word) - what happened to fall?!" 

My little girls' responses went something more along these lines, "YAY! Ooooooh, SNOW! It's pretty! Can we go outside? Can we go sledding? Can we throw snow?! YAY snow!" When we did go outside to find snow remaining, the above replies were followed closely by rampant running and flailing in all directions & no particular direction, coupled with persistent squeals of glee. I had to smile too.

Here's the thing. We can't change it - so why not make the most of it? I allowed my mind to drift away into fantasy-land where glowing fires provide warmth and ambiance, and certain songs incite certain other fantasies. (I couldn't help but go there - with a Christmas song... but dang-diggity (New swear word substitution! You like it?) - it should be considered a WINTER song! I love it, and if it's going to snow, then freak-a-leak, I'm going to enjoy my snowy, romantic song! Baby It's Cold Outside - Dean Martin (Paste following link to browser for a listen!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crFQpOCDfEc&feature=PlayList&p=EAC144CA1B890818&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=38

I'm generally not only open to change, but I welcome it. I've never been one to settle for anything less than what I really desire from life... And that requires change. Of course, there are certain things that we can't change, like the weather. But attitude - that is always in our control. (Well mostly. Sometimes emotions - or hormones - do take over. That's why I don't do hormones. Been there, done that, over it. But I do understand my girlz ["girlz" with a "z" = older gal-pals - friends & fam, and will eventually apply to my babes one day] when they get charged up.) Change in general can be really fun and keeps things exciting. I don't necessarily want 6 months of winter... but I'm going to make the most of it where I can! 

TIP! Two things aided in my appreciation for the early snowfall... 1) I'm a photographer. I had a wedding. It made for some new favorite photos! 2) I have babies. Bring your kids out to play in the snow for a while, and you'll find a new-found enjoyment of it yourself.  **Put on their mittens - the ones with the waterproof outer lining... cause "Baby It's Cold Outside..." (and wet!)


A QUOTE: "The only thing constant in life is change."  ~A response from a boss I used to have when I gave him my 2 weeks notice... he's wise. This stuck with me for many years. :)


WHIDFML: Enjoyed watching my little girls get dizzy with excitement their first time playing in the snow this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment